Have you seen the new addition to our bar? We were feeling inspired over the weekend so we added this pretty neat pegboard to hold our cocktail tools. So, what are you waiting for? Come have a cocktail!
We still don’t have any fryers (that’s not changing anytime soon, so if you want fries, you’re out of luck), but we have added a new bar snack, chicken wings! They’re freaking delicious. We have two options for ya, both of which are kinda spicy. We have a traditional buffalo sauce that we make as well as a killer habanero jerk sauce. They’re $6 for 6 wings, available after 3pm at the bar or in the dining room.
How, you may ask, do we make wings with no fryer? Easy. Season them, roast them, finish them on the grill, toss them in delicious sauce, give them to you. Boom. We will be rolling out a few additional items on the bar menu over the next week or two, so stay tuned for more snacks.
As you may or may not have noticed, we decided to add a little bar to the dining room at Punk’s. It’s a natural extension of what we are already doing, as we’ve been selling you good people a lot of beers for a good amount of time now. Given that we tend to be DIY type people, we decided to build it. Now that it’s finished and still standing, it seemed reasonable to let you know how it went.
We started by sketching up the idea and then heading to Home Depot. We built the structure with a whole bunch of 2x4s and lots of screws. Nothing too fancy, just built a base, then framed it out like you would a wall. This is what we started with.
We decided to make square boxes at the three corner points for stability. We built the base and laid it out to make sure our size was right before moving forward.
Typical bar height is 42″ although we went a little bit smaller at 39″ because we wanted it to blend into the dining room a little bit more. The lower height gives customers better visibility to the grill. So we started framing.
Once the outside framing was done, we rough cut some 8′ x 4′ pieces of plywood and covered the front section. This all eventually gets finished over, so we didn’t need too much finesse on the plywood cuts.
Next, we brought the structure inside and put it in place. We then put the cherry paneling on the front.
Somewhere in this process we framed out another row of beams directly parallel to the others, approximately 6″ further in. We did this for added support and stability. After the structure was solid, we cut the plywood for the top. We bought higher grade cabinet plywood for the top because we need consistency and a level top for finishes. This required a little more precision since it becomes the base for the bar top and I think we managed just fine.
We then flipped it around, so it was where we wanted it, and it looked like this.
Next, we threw some plywood on the back side to help seal off any open spaces, which would later get a coat of water resistant paint.
We needed to install some shelving and a sink, which we did without too much trouble.
The next step was the top. We settled on stone tiles (we’ve never tiled before), so we set them up, and went to work. We put the tile down, grouted it and left a 2″ rail on the back side for bar mats. After the tile dried, we put silicone down between the tile and bar mats, and we stained and varnished the exposed wood to help waterproof it.
Finally, we trimmed up all the edges, moved some equipment back there, bought some bar stools and we have a finished product!